Financial support information

The current cost of living crisis is impacting families and putting pressure on finances.  Financial pressures could cause stress and impact the wellbeing of the whole family. This can be further impacted when trying to navigate the support available to help with the cost of living. It can often be difficult to know where to find information, advice, and support available with financial issues and debt management.

Links to organisations that can provide advice and information and information on the support that is available to anyone who may be experiencing difficulties with finances and debt can be found below.

Support and advice services

Advicelink Cymru - Citizens Advice

Advicelink Cymru offers advice on welfare benefits, debt, employment, education, housing, immigration, and discrimination. The service helps people access the right advice, at the right time and make it easier for them to access services again if they need further help.

Working Wales | Working Wales (

Working Wales provide support with free advice, guidance and access to training to help you get into work or further your career.

Managing your money - Dewis Wales

Dewis Cymru is an information hub of organisations that offer support services, information, and advice.  Services can be searched by local area and by the type of support services required, such as housing advice and food support.


School costs can often be unaccounted for and could put pressure on already tight budgets.  There is support available to families who may be struggling with the costs associated with school, such as school uniforms.

Free school meals: information for parents and carers | GOV.WALES

Provides information on eligibility for, and how to apply for free school meals.

School Essentials Grant | GOV.WALES

Provides information on eligibility criteria for the grants available to support with the costs associated with education. 

Education Maintenance Allowance | GOV.WALES

Provides information on how to apply for the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA).

The EMA is available to young people above compulsory school age, 16-18 years, who are studying a full-time academic or vocational course.

Council Tax

Council Tax discounts and reduction | GOV.WALES

Council Tax is charged on all homes and takes into consideration an individual or a household’s circumstances. In some circumstances the council tax bill could be reduced.  Here you will find information on eligibility for a reduction to council tax and provides links to each local authority who can help if you think you may be paying too much council tax.


Childcare Offer for Wales | Help With Childcare Costs Wales

If you have children aged 3 to 4 years of age you could be eligible for support with childcare.  You could claim up to 30 hours a week of early education and childcare. Here you will be able to find information on eligibility for support with childcare costs and information on how to apply for the childcare offer. 


Housing advice - Shelter Cymru

Shelter housing provide information and advice around housing issues, from managing debt, eviction, finding a place to live, and repairs and bad conditions.  You can access information and advice online or contact their helpline on 08000 495 495.

The Wallich | Welsh Homelessness and rough sleeping Charity

The Wallich supports people facing homelessness or are homeless.  They have dedicated teams who can provide support and advice with housing issues.  Here you will find information on the services and projects provided by the Wallich and links to other organisations that provide help and advice with homelessness and emotional support. 

Each of the 36-housing association or registered social landlords (regulated by the Welsh Government) will have advice, support and information on their websites to support their tenants with the cost of living and money management. They will also provide information and advice for people looking for housing. A list of housing associations and registered landlords in Wales can be found via Housing associations | Community Housing Cymru (

Welsh Government – Cost of living support

Get help with the cost of living

Here you will find links to financial support available to help with the increased cost of living. Such as, benefits, utility bills and council tax, debt and money, housing, education and childcare, and health and wellbeing.  As well as providing a link to local authority support services.

Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF)

The Welsh Government provides a discretionary assistance fund for individuals who may be experiencing financial hardship.  The Discretionary Assistance Fund provides 2 types of grants:

Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP):

A grant to help pay for essential costs, such as food, gas, electricity, clothing or emergency travel

Individual Assistance Payment (IAP):

A grant to help you or someone you care for live independently in their home or a property that you or they are moving into.


The Trussell Trust - Stop UK Hunger

Trussell Trust provides information and locations of local foodbanks and how to access them.  Foodbank vouchers can be provided through schools, GP surgeries, health visitors, and advice agencies, such as citizens advice.


Getting Ready Project | Children in Wales

The Getting Ready Project provides support for young people to safely transition from care and build resilience and mechanisms which keep young people safe from homelessness and related risk, enhancing their overall wellbeing.

As part of the project a suite of resources have been developed to enhance care experienced young people’s knowledge and understanding of their rights and entitlements when planning to leave care. These resources include information on budgeting, benefits and entitlements, and food shopping tips.

Wellbeing support

Often financial strain and debt can impact mental health and wellbeing.  Support is available to anyone who may be struggling with their mental health and wellbeing.

Find local and national organisations that could help you.  Dewis provide contact details for a wide range of support services and information.

C.A.L.L. Mental Health Helpline - Community Advice and Listening Line

C.A.L.L provide a free helpline (0800 132 737) and text message service (81066).  They provide emotional support and information on mental health and related matters.

Clear, practical advice for Wales : Mental Health & Money Advice (

Money health and money advice provide clear, practical advice and support for people experiencing issues with mental health and money.

Samaritans | Every life lost to suicide is a tragedy | Here to listen

If you are struggling to cope and need to talk to someone, you can call the Samaritans free on 116 123.  For the support in Welsh call 0808 164 0123


Meic is the helpline service for children and young people up to the age of 25 in Wales. It’s service help from finding local services that can support wellbeing to talking through difficult situations.  They provide an online chat, telephone and text service.