Why not help us celebrate Safer Internet Day 2021 today and catch-up on a networking event that Children in Wales organised last week?
If a child swallows a button battery, they can be left with internal injuries that are catastrophic and life changing. Sadly, some injuries can be fatal. As this video shows, a powerful button battery can have devastating effects in just a couple of hours.
Many parents and carers simply don’t know the damage that button batteries can do and are shocked to discover how many everyday products in their homes are powered by them.
The Child Accident Prevention Trust (CAPT) has a range of free button battery safety resources available for practitioners to share with families including:
An advice flyer, available in both Welsh and English
- A large, colourful display poster - “Button batteries – where are yours?”
- A session plan to help plan group activities with families
- A factsheet, translated into 17 languages including Polish and Arabic
- A picture-based booklet for parents who struggle with reading
Katrina Phillips, Chief Executive of the Child Accident Prevention Trust, said: “Button batteries can cause horrific injuries to small children. If you can, please use our free resources to spread the word to families across Wales.
“We only had enough funding initially to translate the flyer into Welsh. If your organisation needs the other resources translated too, please let us know, so we can make the case for the future.”
Printed copies of the resources are available to order free of charge, with free postage and packaging – simply use code BBFREE at checkout – from CAPT’s online shop and are also free to download from CAPT’s button battery safety hub.
You can also sign up to receive the latest news and updates on child accident prevention.