Safeguarding is broader than child protection. It encompasses promoting the welfare of the child, protecting them from abuse, harm and neglect, preventing their health and development from being impaired and ensuring that they receive safe and effective care. By keeping children safe we are enabling them to have optimum life chances and improved well being outcomes. Child protection is a key part of safeguarding and promoting welfare. It is the activity which is undertaken to protect children and young people who are suffering or at risk of suffering significant harm as a result of abuse, harm or neglect.
Children in Wales’ work in this area includes:
- Training and awareness-raising workshops – bespoke and open-advertised – for professionals
- Provide secretariat and coordination of the All Wales Child Protection Procedures Review Group meetings
- Proactively engage with Welsh Government in the development and delivery of legislation and policies as they impact on safeguarding and child protection
- Proactively work with our member organisations through our forums and networks
- Providing information, advice and a signposting service for our member organisations in relation to external services and policies
- Campaign, lobby and influence the safeguarding policy agenda
- Informing and supporting external research and enquiries
For more information about any of these issues please contact: Sean O’Neill, Policy Director, Sean.Oneill@childreninwales.org.uk.
09.05.17 Child Sexual Exploitation
There are no upcoming events relating to this subject.